Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Footballer's off the field activities Part 2

I know it has been a while, but I just couldn't resist. In my last post way back in October I discussed the off the field life of footballers. Since then we have had the Tiger Wood's scandal in golf and now John Terry and Ashely Cole. Two players whom I happen to really enjoy watching play this game that I love. The question I have been asking myself is, do their infidelities really matter to me? I had to think long and hard about this one and the answer is not really.
Grant it that I am really disappointed in their actions, they broke no law! Think about it, your taking a flight and your pilot is having an affair, you don't really care once he can take you where you need to be safely. Well as far as I am concerned I feel about athletes the same way.
I am not one to be slapping "role model" labels on anyone who I do not know personally and I think parents should raise their kids to think in that same fashion. So once these guys lace up their boots and go on to the field and play the game, I can ignore their indiscretions. It's up to them to handle their personal business.

Coming soon: League Cup final, Champions League and European Leagues are coming to a climax, World Cup preview and predictions. Until then, football is more than just a sport, it's a way of life!

Cheers,
Deon

2 comments:

  1. Hey Deon, didn't know you blog. Good stuff!

    I disagree with you on John Terry though. Tiger Woods could diddle one hundred white girls (he probably did) and I wouldn't really care. But the John Terry case is a little different.

    Remember he had an affair with the mother of Wayne Bridge's child. Wayne Bridge is a friend, an ex-Chelsea team mate and a team mate on the England side (of which Terry was his captain). That is a no-go. How could the England captain cheat with the mother of one of his player's kids?

    It may have been an off the field activity, but this one carries over onto the field. I'm certain there was some disharmony in the England squad because of this. Maybe there still is. Could you imagine these guys training together for the World Cup? This is why Capello had to make an example and strip him of the captaincy: Terry did something that could potentially hurt England's chances in South Africa.

    I used to be a Terry fan, but not anymore. Actually, I stopped supporting him a few weeks before the affair story broke because of what I read here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/matthew_syed/article6965635.ece

    He seems too greedy for my taste.

    Keep it coming,
    Eduard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is a very very good point Eduard. I didn't look at it from that point of view. But I understand how the dynamic of the team can be affected, especially in Terry's case. It would be an interesting development in SA.

    ReplyDelete